Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Samoens

We spent the night at Julie's family's house in Samoens.


The next day was a busy one! We all walked into town, where they were celebrating the anniversary of the region of Savoie voting to annex themselves with the country of France.


Here I am with (L to R) Julie's uncle, aunt, and mother.


We also strolled around downtown Samoens. This was one of my favorite streets, with the mountain Criou in the background.


Later in the day, Julie and I drove up to the Col de Joux Place, known as a famous leg of the Tour de France.


From there, we had a nice view of Mont Blanc (now obviously the tallest peak) and Le Buet (the brown, angular peak in front).


We spent an hour or so picking blueberries!


Once we thought we had enough, we did some more exploring of the Samoens region. Here I am at the Cascade du Rouget:


We then went to the Sixt Fer a Cheval (the Sixt Horse Shoe), named because mountains and cliffs surround you on three sides.


We caught the late afternoon sun making rainbows in some of the waterfalls:


Then it was back to the house to prepare dessert. We picked 813 grams of blueberries (of which I probably contributed 200 grams!):


After dinner, I had my picture taken with all the French delicacies: wine, champagne, cheese, bread, and fresh blueberry pie:


2 comments:

Terri said...

We got your postcard yesterday! Thanks! Man that got here fast! The pictures you are posting are amazing! The scenery is just beautiful! I am so jealous. Hello to Julie! Love ya.

Sara said...

gee that blueberry pie looks delicious!