Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rome, Day 2

The next morning, I had breakfast at a small cafe.


I walked past where I had been the day before, this time stopping to see the Foro di Cesare ruins:




I continued past the Teatro Marcello


to the river. This is a picture of the Ponte Sisto spanning the Fiume Tevere (Tiber River), with the dome of St. Peter's in the background.


I turned north and went to the Pantheon



which houses Raphael's tomb,


among other things. Of course, the coolest part is the dome!


Next, it was off to the Fontana di Trevi


then the Piazza di Spagna, including the Spanish Steps and Trinita dei Monti:


I continued north to the Piazza del Popolo:


I noticed a nice observation area up top, so I hiked up to see the sights.
the piazza


the Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele II:


On my way down the hill, I passed the Villa Medici


and the Trinita dei Monti again.


Next, I went to the San Carlo Quattro Fontane. I liked how the leaves of the tree were all carved from the stone:


I finished my day with a trip up to the Porta Pia, but it was completely surrounded by scaffolding and drapery, so I didn't take any pictures of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That cappuccino looks so good......
Paola