Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mainz

My former coworker Adam met me at the Mainz train station. We went downtown and walked around, taking advantage of the nice weather (we knew it was supposed to rain the next day). In the middle of downtown is the Mainzer Dom:


Adam told me the Dom is the seat of an archbishop.

We walked up the street to St. Stephen's church,


which is known for its stained-glass windows by Marc Chagall:


Then we had dinner outside. Here's Adam with his dinner:


The following day (today), it was indeed rainy. We went to the Gutenberg museum, where we saw several Gutenberg bibles. Pictures were not allowed, but here's one of the benches outside the museum that I liked:


We then took a ride up into the Rheingau region, known for it's wine:


I was surprised at how high the Rhein was:


We headed back to where Adam lives (a little west of Mainz) for dinner. Tomorrow, I take a train ride to Zurich, where I'll meet up with another former coworker of mine, Julie. I hope the weather gets better!

2 comments:

Terri said...

That is a MASSIVE meal Adam has! Did he eat it all?

Jeff said...

I believe so! I might have helped him with a few french fries, though.