Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mount Bierstadt

Sunday, I climbed my second 14er (a 14,000 foot mountain), Mount Bierstadt, with Rich and Wally. Rich and I left Louisville a little after 5 am, and got to the trailhead by around 6:30. Mt. Bierstadt is the rounded peak to the right:


We left early enough to see the moon before it set, here shown next to Square Top Mountain:


Once we were high enough, we could see the first 14er I did, Grays and Torreys (although two peaks, they technically only counted as one 14er because the descent from one and the re-ascent to the other aren't large enough). From left to right: Square Top Mtn., Argentine Peak, Grays and Torreys (the two tallest peaks):


On the way up, we heard some pikas, so I took a picture of one. See if you can find it!


Here it is!


From the top, a picture of Frozen Lake in the foreground and Pikes Peak faint along the horizon:


I zoomed in on where we started:


While I was up top, I learned a new peak, the Mount of the Holy Cross. See if you can find it!


Here it is!


Back down at the bottom, I snapped one more picture of where we had just been.


All in all, it was a great hike. The weather was nearly perfect, and it was relatively short and quick (7 miles round trip).

No comments: