Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New Mexico flyby

On June 11, when I was on my way from Tampa to Ontario (via Las Vegas), I flew over New Mexico. I took pictures out the window, and although they weren't very clear (I sat over the wing, so all pictures were taken at a shallow angle), it gives me a chance to post some pre-blog pictures.

White Sands National Monument (the white blur near the horizon):


And from March 2005, my friend Brett at White Sands:


and my car:


Socorro from the plane:


Socorro's 'M' Mountain:


M Mountain and Socorro from South Baldy:


The Magdalena Range (nearest dark range) and South Baldy (highest peak with light-colored side):


Magdalenas and South Baldy:


South Baldy from the balloon hangar:


The Very Large Array (VLA):


If you zoom into the middle of the above picture, you can barely make out the radio dishes:


They were one of the first things I visited after I moved to Socorro.




I went there again during Brett's visit. We had just driven up from warm Socorro to the top of snowy South Baldy one day.


The weather turned to snow once we were down the mountain, it was very foggy, and we wanted to get to the VLA before sunset. I didn't think I'd be able to show Brett much at all. But lo and behold, the fog broke just as we arrived at the VLA!


We took a bunch of pictures before the sun finally set.



On our way out there, we thought about giving up, turning around, and going home -- but I'm glad we didn't!

1 comment:

Terri said...

Love that sunset picture, Jeff.