Sunday, May 29, 2011

California Coast

I finally had a day off today! Thomas, Pawel, and I took advantage of our free time by heading down the coast. We started with the 17-mile drive along the Monterey Peninsula, where we saw the Lone Cyprus


and the Ghost Tree.


We also drove past Pebble Beach, but there weren't many good views of the golf course.

Next, we headed to Point Lobos, which got its name from the Spanish word for sea lions (sea wolves). We walked out to Sea Lion Point,


where I was met by a squirrel begging for food.


Most of the sea lions congregated on this one rock.


We wandered around looking for starfish in tidal pools. I didn't see any starfish, but there were plenty of crabs.


On our way out of the park, we walked along the southern coast of the point.


Along the way, I saw all sorts of life in the tidal pools, including anenomes


and sea urchins.


I also saw this crab, that seemed to be eating or cleaning itself with a foamy substance.


After Point Lobos, we went south toward Big Sur.


We stopped at Pfeiffer Beach


where I saw, of all things, a skunk.


Then we went back to the Monterey Peninsula and had dinner in Pacific Grove.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Beautiful! Great pics! Funny skunk...