Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bear Peak Hike

Since the weather was supposed to be fairly nice today, I decided to climb Bear Peak. Normally I don't go until April or May, but we've had so little snow this year, this weekend worked out just fine.

I took this picture of Bear Peak on my way up:


About two-thirds of the way up, there is a saddle where I took this picture of the spine of Green Mountain. I liked how the cloud mirrored the mountain.


Once at the top, you could see for miles. Here are Pikes Peak (left) and Longs Peak (below).
















I tried to take a picture of Longs Peak and me, but you can barely see the mountain.


This picture shows where I started:



















And finally, when I got to the bottom, I turned around a took a picture of where I was.


According to gmap-pedometer, I climbed more than 2500 feet today!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm impressed with your use of graphics. How did you get them to overlap like that?

Sara said...

wait a second - I thought Bear was close to a 3kft gain. Yeah, that's what your figure says. Did you only go halfway up?

Jeff said...

Actually, the layout got to be rather annoying. Things looked different on the Preview page than they did on the real thing, but I used the smaller picture size and the right and left justify features in the middle there.

As for the elevation gain, you're right, I typed the wrong number. It's actually close to 2721 feet.

Jeff said...

There, I've changed the elevation gain in my posting.