Sunday, September 14, 2008

Caribou Ranch

This morning I volunteered with the Boulder County Parks and Open Spaces. We removed barbed wire fence from Caribou Ranch. Here's a picture of some of the team at work:



And some of the wire we removed:



Back in the days when Caribou Ranch was used as a ranch, the fence kept horses in. Now, the fence can only injure unsuspecting deer and elk.

Speaking of elk, we saw four of them on our way to the site, but I wasn't able to get my camera out in time.

Caribou Ranch was owned by James William Guercio and his family. He's best known as the producer of Chicago's albums in the '70s. He had a recording studio on his property, where many Chicago albums were recorded, as well as Elton John's Caribou album, and Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments. Unfortunately, the studio burned down in the '80s and was never rebuilt.



For dinner, I actually cooked something myself: enchilada casserole! And it's 100% vegan, thanks to Sara giving me all the ingredients (and the recipe) before she left for France. (OK, so it took me a week to finally make it, but that's not the point!)

6 comments:

Sara said...

Was it good?

oh gosh I can't wait to get back and make this again...

Chi-Gal said...

Did the Guercio family sell Caribou; you said used to own it?

Jeff said...

The casserole was excellent. I had the rest of it tonight!

Jeff said...

I think the Parks and Open Spaces guy said the Guercio family sold about half of the land to the county. They still own a house on the property.

Chi-Gal said...

Do you know anything about whether or not Guercio is respected as a philanthropist or how is he thought of? Here's a guy who was a music legend, then he evaporates for 30 years and just now reemerges into the PR limelight again....30 years...why now...

Jeff said...

The Parks and Open Spaces guy said that he easily could have sold his property to developers, but didn't. That's about all I know.