Monday, January 31, 2011

Dunedin, New Zealand

Our first stop in Dunedin was at Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world (according to the Guiness Book of World Records).



We all managed to walk up it! We treated our efforts with a tour of the Cadbury factory in town.

We spent quite a bit of time out at the end of the Otago Peninsula. At Pilots Beach, we saw New Zealand fur seals.


The highlight of Pilots Beach is the arrival of the blue penguins at dusk. We sat (or stood in the back) and watched as the tiny penguins came ashore to feed their young. They don't grow taller than 30 cm, and are easily startled (if you make sudden movements or talk, they won't come near you). I was fortunate to have several come up to me. I didn't want to startle them any more than I had to, so I didn't take pictures. But before it got too dark, I did take a picture of a baby waiting in its nest.


The next day, we toured the local Speight's Brewery.


I also took a picture of the "most photographed building in New Zealand", the Dunedin train station.


On our way out to the end of Otago Peninsula (for a second time), we stopped for a hike at (above, we never went all the way down) Tunnel Beach. I think Tunnel Beach gets its name from the arch in the rock.


The reason we went out to Otago Peninsula for the second straight day (despite the windy roads) was to see an albatross nesting site. This is the only mainland nesting site in the world.


I'm currently sitting in the Sydney airport, so I'll wrap up my New Zealand trip once I get home!

No comments: